• The meeting was called to order by President Patrick
Burke at 1245 p.m. CDT.
• Patrick read the minutes of our last meeting which was held on May 19 in Norton, Kanssas. The minutes were accepted as read.
• Patrick then read the Treasurer’s Report. We only had two small expenses. The Treasurer’s report was accepted as read.
• New Business
• Membership Update
- WFO Goodland has two new chapter members – Matt Mehle and Al Pietrycha. Randy Coleman, retired forecaster from WFO
Goodland also attended the meeting.
- WFO North Platte has a new OPL that has joined as well.
- It was suggested to create an honorary membership for retired members. This item will be written up as an email and sent out to
all members to vote on.
- The current number of chapter members stands at 43.
- WFO Goodland will be losing one member – Logan Johnson
- Patrick has collected zip codes to send to AMS Headquarters to identify more AMS members in the area who may wish to join
the local chapter.
- A written agenda will be sent out 15 days prior to each meeting.
- Patrick contacted Kevin Lavin of the NWA of our election of officers.
- A recommendation was made to send out the minutes of each of our meetings to all members. This would especially be good
for those members not able to attend.
- It was noted that there are several chat lists available to use to post items.
• Web Page Issues
- Patrick has written a welcome letter to let people know what we do and encourage them to join the chapter.
- Maybe add student resource center links.
- Also maybe add links to the AMS Journals from our web page (Since NWS maybe dropping this.)
- Have at least one resource contact in each WFO office. Patrick made these assignments.
• High Plains Conference in North Platte – October 5-7, 2005
- Deadline for abstracts extended to August 30, 2005.
- Maybe raise conference fees. Currently fees for members and students are $50.00 and $25.00 respectively. Maybe raise these to
$60.00 and $30.00 respectively. A decision will be forthcoming on this within the next day or two since the planning committee
will meet during that time.
- Maybe for student poster session – Divide these sessions into graduate and undergraduate divisions.
• With no other new business the meeting was adjourned by voice vote.
• Patrick then introduced our guest speaker Jim Johnson of WFO Dodge City. Jim gave a very informative and interesting presentation
on aviation forecasting from a pilot’s perspective. He especially provided interesting and useful information regarding the writing of
TAFs with the pilot in mind.
• The gathering concluded at 215 p.m. CDT. The next meeting will take place during the High Plains Conference in North Platte